Monday, June 1, 2009

WeaselMomma's School of Creative Parenting

It's Finally June. The school year is almost over. Yet, I still find myself fighting the same battles that started in September.

Even after numerous reminders before we rush to the car in the mornings of "do you have all of your stuff?" or "don't forget to bring your gym shoes/lunch/folder/etc.", I still get regular phone calls from school. "Mom, I left my (fill in your own blank) on the dining room table (or in my room), I need you to bring it.

For a while I would bring it. I would let Weasel de jour know my displeasure and move on with the rest of the day. This did not seem to work as a deterrent ~whouda thunk it? I moved on to refusing to bring whatever the forgotten item was. Though sometimes I would feel compelled to bring the forgotten item, for the teacher's sake. It's pretty hard to teach math when the student doesn't have the book to work from.

About a month ago, when bringing a missing item to the classroom, I warned Boy Weasel "The next time I have to bring something, I'm going to bring it in wearing curlers and a house dress". I don't even own curlers or a house dress. He must have taken me somewhat seriously, because it bought me about a month.

This past Friday, shortly after returning home from dropping off at school, the phone rings. It's Boy Weasel of course. "Mom, I left my report on the counter. I need you to bring it right away". My first thought was No, I'm not going to bring it. Quickly, my mind switched gears and I replied that I would be there shortly.

I hung up the phone and walked up stairs. Rummaging through my closet I pulled out an old fleece robe. I walked into my bathroom and put my hair into pigtails. I grabbed my car keys, the forgotten report and headed for school.

The wonderful women in the front office were in stitches and requested a picture.I signed in and made a bee-line to Boy's classroom. Upon entering, his teacher's eyes popped out of her head as she fought to keep a straight face and maintain control of the classroom. All heads in the room turned quickly to see who had come in, including Boy Weasel. He had a nervous, shock filled smile. I walked to his desk and gave him his report. "Mom, why are you dressed like that?". "Because I warned you that I would".

I made him stand up so that his teacher could take a picture.The girls in the back of the room started to snicker. I waved and said "Hi, I'm Boy Weasel's Mom!" and gave my son a kiss on the head. He would have crawled under the floorboards if he could have. As I was leaving the classroom, I overheard one of the boys say "Don't worry Boy Weasel, you'll live this down someday".

Hopefully he will live it down someday, but more importantly, I don't think he will be leaving the house without everything he needs anymore.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

27 comments:

Melisa Wells said...

This is one of my favorite things you have ever done.

You forgot to mention that we were on the phone when you were trying to decide if you were going to do it and I encouraged you like a crazy stage mom would, if I were a crazy stage mom and you were one of those creepily made-up little pageant girls. haha

poosemommy said...

Excellent. You forgot the cold cream though!
I will remember this trick in case it ever becomes an issue.

Busy-Dad-E said...

That was awesome! My bet is he'll never forget ANYTHING the rest of his school career. Not to mention, if he ever gets out of line, you can remind him, "Do you want to talk about the time you forgot your report?", and you can threaten to pull out the picture.

Gertrude Groggins - said...

I've always used the NO WAY AM I MAKING ANOTHER TRIP TO SCHOOL APPROACH, but you're right - it doesn't work!
I bow to your mommy geniusness. And I swear to use this approach should the need arise...

WeaselMomma said...

@ Melisa ~ You were right there egging me on and begging for pics!

@ Cuz ~ I considered a mud mask, but didn't want to over-do it. Besides, I was all out.

@ Bus-E ~ That the idea. I'm thinking it's going to work.

@ Gertrude ~ Sometimes you just need to attack from the Flank.

Otter Thomas said...

I have heard that threat used by lots of people. I am glad to finally see someone follow through. Boy Weasel should be happy. He will be the most popular boy in school for a while. Any publicity is good pulicity. Right?

Tom said...

WeaselMomma, you need to write a book. And have illustrations. This is first-class tactical parenting at it's finest. Well done! And thanks for making me spew a doughnut on my monitor here.

statmom said...

That was hilarious! I will have to remember that one for the future! Great job! :)

NukeDad said...

Classic. Tom is right; you need to do a "Keep the kids in line for Dummies" book. Cuz' I'm the Mommy was right also; cold cream would have been the piece de resistance.

Cheffie-Mom said...

You are too funny, Weaselmomma! My son would definitely get me back, when I least expected it! LOL!

chess h said...

you are awesome.

Jason said...

It's not as if you don't already know but, damn, you're a genius! LOL awesome parenting!

Laura said...

I love it!! You're the best! We only had a very few forgotten lunches this year, but they were only in K & 3rd grade...soon enough. I'll keep this beautiful tactic in mind, & will be sure to take babies/toddlers in sagging diapers with me!

Tara R. said...

You are my hero!

terri said...

You are a parenting GODDESS! How many of us have threatened something like this? I'll bet you're the first to really go through with it. You rock!

SurprisedMom said...

Ditto what Tara said! I'm laughing just as hard as I did when you first told me about this and saw the photos! This is just great! And don't let anyone tell you that you don't look smashing in pigtails and a fleece robe. Fashion as it's best!

Out-Numbered said...

You are friggin insane and I love it. You also look pretty hot in a bathrobe. Nice!

Michelle said...

Oh I love it. LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Way to go! I would have been right there with Melisa egging you on. I bet you have no issues the rest of the year :) With any of them. I'm going to remember that, as there are times Mister Man can't remember to take his backpack out of the car as I'm reminding him in the parking lot *sigh*

ShankRabbit said...

You are so freaking awesome! You should just keep adding goofier and goofier things to the outfit for each time they forget something.

Eventually where you'll show up on the back of a goat with a trombone and a beenie.

WeaselMomma said...

@ Otter ~ Always follow though. If not you are dead in the water.

@ Tom ~ Now I just have to make that book longer than 1 page.

@ Statmom ~ Feel free to file this one away and thanks for coming by.

@ NukeDad ~ I wanted to shame him bringing his work, not make him suicidal.

@ Cheffie ~ Never let a little thing like fear of retribution stop you.

@ Chess ~ Thankyouverymuch. Good to see you here, come back soon.

@ Jason and Laura ~ I'll take a bow now.

@ Tara ~ I get that a lot, lol.

@ Terri ~ It's good for the kids to have a healthy fear of me!

@ Surprised ~ This one was bunches-o-fun.

@ OutNumbered ~ Just don't make it into a poster on your wall without giving me royalties.

@ Michelle ~ It won't work until they are big enough to be ashamed of you.

@ Shank ~ The goat is a nice touch, but defeats the purpose if it becomes a regular routine.

de-I said...

Outrageous WM! You are the tops.

I wish I had thought of half as good an idea and had the balls to pull it off when I was raising my kids.

Unknown said...

Hahaha this cracked me up so much - I love it! :-)

Unknown said...

HA!!!! And you've got pics for posterity!!! (I mean to show his fiance) LOL!!

seashore subjects said...

Love this post! Thanks for brightening my evening - even if it's at weaselboy's expense ;)

Mrs4444 said...

That is AWESOME! Love it!! Pure genius.

Ashlie- Mommycosm said...

Newbie here - came via Momo Fali - OMG. I want to be you when I grow up!

My kids are finishing preschool and 1st grade and I'm definitely filing this away for future use. Hilarious.

The Microblogologist said...

I've told you how much I adore and look up to you right? My hypothetical kids might not appreciate that you are one of my role models if I pull something like this on them, hehehe!

Related Posts with Thumbnails