Thursday, December 24, 2009

Anything But A Silent Night

Merry Christmas Eve to all!!!!!!!!

Today will be busy and filled with the all the last minute preparations and the beginning of festivities and our family traditions.

I will run around like a chicken with head cut off trying to meet time deadlines. While the Weasels (and their Momma) reach critical mass and risk spontaneous combustion with excitement levels reaching Richter scale readings.

Then, just before FEMA needs to be called, it will be time for my favorite part of the Christmas celebration, Christmas Eve Mass. As a family we will dress and go to our church with 100's of others and their critical mass children. The sanctuary will be filled with joy, excitement and anticipation. The music, readings, Gospel and the celebration of the Eucharist during Mass will bring Joy and Peace to my heart.

The Weasel family will return home to exchange gifts from each other before getting ourselves in bed in time for Santa and his Elves to arrive and work their magic. We will awaken to find the glimmer and shimmer of ribbons, bows and wrap illuminated by our tree all a twinkle in a moment of Christmas magic of uncompromising beauty with Weasel eyes twinkling in excitement, Peace and relief of knowing that they made the Nice List.

I have a glorious 24 hours ahead of me, but this will always remain my most cherished part, courtesy of Luke:

And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed. (And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of Syria.) And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city.

And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:) to be taxed with Mary, his espoused wife, being great with child. And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered. And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid: And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us. And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger. And when they had seen it, they made known abroad the saying which was told them concerning this child. And all they that heard it, wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds. But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart. And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them.

And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child, his name was called Jesus, which was so named of the angel before he was conceived in the womb.

Merry Christmas to all and wishing you all the joys and peace of the blessings of Christ, our greatest gift*.

* I also wish Joy and Peace and the blessings of God for my non Christian friends ~ even the atheists.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

20 comments:

Michelle said...

"Even" the atheists? I have to say, that makes me giggle.

On the plus side, you made me remember now that I have to charge my camera for the pageant this afternoon and the present exchange this evening. I thought it was only Germans who did presents on Christmas Eve.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Tara R. said...

No matter how rough times have been over the past year, this passage, this message of hope, love and joy, brings a tear to my eye and lump to my throat. Thank you so much for this.

A very Merry Christmas to the Weasel Family.

WeaselMomma said...

@ Michelle ~ Take a moment to breathe and enjoy. Presents on Christmas Eve is a German tradition. My Grandfathers were both German and my Grandmothers both Irish. I get the best of all traditions to pass on to my family as my parents passed them onto me. Merry Christmas!

@ Tara ~ It always chokes me up to, but with tears of joy and love. Along with a lump of sorrow and longing for my little Weasel who gets to attend the best Christmas celebration everyday.

Astaryth said...

Merry Christmas to you and all of the Weasels!

Anonymous said...

We usually do some of our gifts on Christmas Eve too on account of my wife's family's German heritage. I'm going to miss that this year, as the wife just left for work until 11pm. Any way, I hope you and all the Weasels have a very Merry Christmas. My break is now over, back to making ravioli.

Heather said...

Merry Christmas to you, my friend!

Ron said...

And a very Merry Christmas to you and the whole Weasel family!

Tom said...

We hope you had a very merry Christmas! I managed to drag all but one of my kids to the Christmas eve service. Not a bad score, I say.

Laura said...

Merry Christmas Weasel Family!!
Love, Laura & Crew

terri said...

There is nothing better than celebrating Christmas surrounded by the love of family. Merry Christmas!

Joanie said...

Did you grow up int he Philly area?

I'll be playing catch-up on blogs tonight, after work. (yup! I have to work today.. gotta feed all those crazy shoppers!)

Jason @ The Devoted Dad said...

Merry Christmas! We read that same passage from
Luke every year as a family tradition. Joy and blessings to you and your family. With Thanks to Christ our Savior, Jason

Mrs4444 said...

I'm German (well, part, anyway), but somehow, that tradition never made it to my house, probably because there was so little to open in the first place! In my house, though, we open new pajamas, and sometimes a little gift. We also attend mass on Christmas eve, though this year, we've decided that we've had enough of the children's mass and might consider switching to the late evening mass next year. CHANGING a holiday tradition?! Well, I said we might...

Weaselmomma, I miss you and hope that your holiday was wonderful.

And BTW, you guessed it--Kendall woudln't give up her ketchup, even on PRIME!!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you - I hope that a great time was had by all.

Otter Thomas said...

The Christmas Eve service is my favorite of the year and definitely one of the best parts of Christmas. Thanks for sharing the gospel and true meaning of Christmas with everyone this year - even the atheists.

Mr. Man said...

Christmas is such a joyous time. Not only because of the gifts, food and traditions. Primarily because it represents the birth of our King, the Salvation he represents, and the eternal goodwill towards all. It is also a sad time for me because it passes so quickly and, as such, is quickly forgotten by so many. I pray that the spirit of Christmas stays with us all thoughout 2010 and beyond.

Melisa Wells said...

Sheesh, I feel like it's been forever since we've chatted! That's what my being sick and your celebrating a major holiday will do, I guess! I can't wait to hear how your Christmas was: I have a feeling it was super.

john cave osborne said...

i wish i had read this on Christmas Eve. one of my favorite things to do each year is go to the Nativity Pageant, but since the trips were born, we've not been able to go. reading the words in blue took me back. i love that story, and i loved reading it on your blog. thank you, WM. i hope you had a Merry Christmas.

Happy New Year, friend!

Oscar said...

Merry Christmas! I hope you all had a Wonderful day! Enjoy the time between the holidays!

seashore subjects said...

Mass marks the ed of prep and beginning of celebration here too. I love evening Mass because I think they are worn out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails