Sunday, September 6, 2009

Just When You Thought It Was Safe........

Being a only by the grace of God, barely competent stellar mother, I make sacrifices for the Weasels constantly. Most parents who have managed not to have the state take custody away regularly give up all sorts of things without even blinking. We give up our dream cars, nice furnishings, television privileges, romantic vacations and decent wardrobes without a second thought or a twinge of loss. We sacrifice our time and cash to see our children cared for and growing. It's what we signed up for and we are pleased when we see our children happy and thriving. It is even better when see them successful in the endeavors we have supported them in.

More times than not, I do these things without even registering them in my brain. It just comes natural at this point and I like it this way. I get extreme joy by doing for my children and don't even miss what I am missing. Most. Of. The. Time.

Let me tell you a little story. My mother did not like any scary movies. If it wasn't a Disney Feature, like say Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang which scared the bejesus out of me with the 'child catcher' or a musical like Hello Dolly Barbra Streisand has always creeped me out in a bad way, Mom wasn't interested and thus Das ist Verbeten! We were not allowed to see scary movies with or without Mom. It didn't matter if it was Psycho or Halloween. Disney's The Headless Horseman (edited for TV) was as scary as we were getting. If she didn't want to see it, we couldn't see it either.

Enter the summer blockbuster Jaws. No way, no how. Wasn't going to happen. Years later when it was edited for television, I did get to see it when Mom was going to bed early anyway. Not the same as the big screen, but beggars can't be choosers.

Back to present day. Eldest Weasel is back into Cross Country season and thriving. She is running very competitively and making both her coaches and her parents extremely proud and joyous as we watch her thrive at something we have put a great deal of time, money, gas and moral support into. She is doing so well that she will be one of only a few on her team to be selected to run in a state level invitational. This is a big deal. This meet is a preview of 'going to state'. A place to run against and sum up your competition for the most important meet of the year. It is held a few hours away and requires an overnight hotel stay the evening prior. Only the teams elite are able to qualify to attend this meet and we have a pretty strong team.

Back to me. Jaws is coming back to a local theater. With special guest Richard Dreyfuss giving a talk prior to the movie. Not just any movie theater either, but the dinner and a movie theater that serves full bar and menu to you during the movie. In high back executive chairs. With nice tables and reasonable prices. I even have free passes. I finally get another opportunity to see Jaws on the big screen and in style!

Actually not so much. The Jaws special feature is showing the same weekend as the Cross Country meet. This movie showing is not an opportunity that I am likely to get again. Did I mention I have free passes?

I want to be torn, but there's really no contest. Eldest Weasel blows the competition out of the water, just as I hope she will do at the meet. I will not forgo the meet. I will be there come hell or high water. Not just because I have to be, but because I want to be. Damn those maternal instincts.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments:

Melisa Wells said...

Hmm, you know, Jim and I were just talking about how we haven't seen a movie in a while....

WeaselMomma said...

@ Melisa ~ B'otch!

Tara R. said...

Enjoy your evening... Eldest will be beating the competition all season.

Daddy Files said...

What a coincidence. I just wrote about something Jaws related at work...

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090906/NEWS/909060328

WeaselMomma said...

@ Tara ~ Watching her do it will bring me more heart pounding excitement that the movie.

@ Daddy Files ~ I'll have to check that out.

Teacher Tom said...

My father came to every single one of my sporting events throughout my childhood. When I was a senior he let me know that he had a meeting and there was no way he could drive an hour to see my soccer match. I was 18 years old. I told him it was no problem and it really wasn't

Just before half-time I looked over to the sidelines and there he was. To this day, that is my benchmark for parental love.

You're right to go to that meet come hell or high water.

SurprisedMom said...

You are the BEST of Moms! Eldest Weasel might not appreciate it as fully as she should right now, but she'll look back and always remember that you gave up JAWS and Richard Dryfuss for her.

BTW, I don't remember scary movies being outlawed at my house, but my Dad did put his foot down at The Exorcist.

I did see Jaws on the big screen. No big deal. (Did I make you feel better?)

Laura said...

Congratulations to Eldest Weasel & your whole family on her accomplishments. I'm sorry you're losing the fun opportunity, but I know that I would do the same for any of my children. She'll always remember it, & will find a new appreciation for you (years down the road) when she is a mom!!

Mrs4444 said...

Oh, you'll live. Besides, now she can owe you big-time, and you can hang that over her head all year!

Anonymous said...

My wife hates scary movies and while I"ll watch them, it's not my thing. I have a feeling I'll be the one that has to sit through them with little man.

And congrats to Eldest Weasel, that is a wonderful accomplishment. I hope her and her team dominate.

de-I said...

When the kiddos are gone there will be lots of time to do 'your thing' - trust me.

BTW - doesn't make it any easier :)

AutoSysGene said...

This is one of those times you wish there we two of you. I have to agree, hands down the Eldest Weasel wins...and hopefully, she really will win...

Jaws is overrated anyway...;)

seashore subjects said...

It'll be more fun than a movie - who can pass-up an overnight in a hotel with teens? They are entertainment unto themselves!

As Cape Cod Turns said...

Damn, if you want to see Jaws, come to Chatham now. A friend of mine watched a great white eat a shark right in front of her the other day! Awesome!

As Cape Cod Turns said...

A great white ate a seal. I don't think that is what I said, hey it's getting late....

Anonymous said...

and that's what makes you a great mom! oh, my mom took me with her to see Orca and every time the killer whale started chomping on somebody she would turn me around on her lap. little did she know, that you can look up at the projector room and watch a much smaller version of what's on screen. can you say nightmare? lol

Related Posts with Thumbnails