While I was driving Eldest Weasel (whom the other Weasels have recently dubbed 'The Wicked Witch of the West) to school this morning, I was thinking about what today's post would be about. I asked her what her favorite thing about the Christmas Season. Is it going to mass on Christmas Eve? or our family gift exchange? Or decorating the tree? Do you have a favorite ornament? Or Christmas song?
"The only thing you do is bake cookies. That's not even a tradition."
"Ummm, yes it is. Most of those recipes have been in my family for generations."
"Well, I like to eat the oatmeal lace."
"Is that it? Just eating them? Do you want to make some yourself this year?"
"I dunno, maybe."
Being 14 and in High School, she has naturally become too cool to hang out with the rest of us. She regularly threatens the younger Weasels with "I'll get you!" I always correct her and tell her she has to finish the statement. She then continues with "And your little dog too."
Christmas traditions that Mr. Weasel and I get to indulge in and enjoy during this joyous season include but are not limited too:
- Listening to the Weasels ask "when can we decorate the tree, it's only been up for a week???"
- Changing Smallest Weasels sheets almost daily and she is wetting the bed with Santa anxiety.
- Going "Damn!", when we receive gifts from family in the mail and realize that we hadn't even thought about that yet.
- Going "Damn!" when we receive Christmas cards in the mail and remember that we haven't even taken a picture yet and that Aunt Rose will fly out and kick my butt if she doesn't get on this year.
- Going "knock it off!!!!" as the excitement filled Weasels run around the house like it's a dog track with pent up 'Christmas Joy'. I should buy hamster ball in their size.
- Answer the question of how many days until Christmas 45x daily.