Wednesday, July 23, 2008

College Fund? You crack me up kid!

It's no big secret that kids are expensive. Families the size of ours bleed you dry. Just caring for their basic needs equals the gross national product of a small island nation. An example of this is one day I was shopping at Sam's Club (I should just call this place the feed store). Had all the regular purchases, bought in bulk of course, ground beef, pork chops, chicken, hot dogs, buns, half bushels of fruit, etc. The man in line behind me commented "looks like someone is having a party". I replied to him "No, just grocery shopping" and proceed to help him pick his jaw up off the floor.

Hand me downs should be a part of life, but my little weasels were not considerate enough to be born at the same time of year or grow at equal rates, so hand me downs are few and far between. That is unless I let Monkey Weasel wear Middle Weasel's old tank tops and shorts to go play in the snow. And the department of child services specifically told me that this was not acceptable.

We also send our children to private grade school and high school. This is a huge expense that is hard to meet, but it is what's best for our family. From the time we drank to much, um I mean decided to have a large family we knew we would not/could not be paying for college. Mr. Weasel and I paid our own way, they can do the same. So we are trying to give them a helping hand now with the best education we can provide.

Also, you have all the sports stuff, sign-up fees, uniforms, equipment. Yesterday Eldest Weasel tried out for and made "All Stars Cheerleading Squad". We were really happy, proud and excited. Then found out that part of it is being in a parade in LONDON on New Years Day. Cost of the trip: $2,500! Not sure yet if she can make the trip.

Add to this that our Orthodontist sends us a Christmas card from Maui and a thank you note every year, and you get the picture. I don't say this all to complain, contrary, this is what we signed up for. But it's the set up for Boy Weasel's best one liner ever.

"Mom",said boy, "I don't have to go to college, right?"
Me, "No, but you should. It's a good thing"
Boy, "So what can I do with my college fund if I don't go"?
Me, "college fund? You crack me up kid!
This kid has a future in stand up.

Boy Weasel

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

Dad of Divas said...

College is expensive... yuo probably will have a low EFC (Estimated Family Contribution) with a family of five. A lot though will depend on how much the family makes per year. One way to lower these expenses is to consider a community college for the first few years, getting the general education courses out of the way first and keeping the overall costs for college low. Then the upper division courses can be taken at the university of choice. Good Luck!

Tom said...

You could tally up all of the clothes, food, supplies, toys and miscellaneous care and deduct that from his "college fund" if he doesn't go. That'd be an eye-opener.

Bad Momma said...

I feel your pain on the clothes front. It gets a bit better as they get older. Except for the pants part. My oldest keeps blowing out the knees in all his pants (Dodgeball, Football & Kickball).

There also is the issue of 2 boys being 18 months apart & in the same range (8-10) (10-12). The youngest gets more clothes but they are not always in the best shape.
When the "baby" now 7 was younger my MIL called him "Mr. Droopy Drawers" because the elastic waists on his toddler pants were all shot.

Anonymous said...

OMG--I have to pick my jaw up off of the floor b/c I'm still stuck on FIVE kids! I can barely handle the 2 I have. That's too funny. College fund? What college fund? LOL I'm with you though, I paid (and am still paying) for college and I worked almost full time in school, so I think it's important for them to have to contribute at least in part. And truth be told, our kids don't have a college fund either. We spent that when we moved to the midwest to become partners in a business, bought a house here and still had a house in the northeast that hadn't sold yet.

BTW--thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

Anonymous said...

LOL Gotta love the ones with the quick wit...wonder where they get it from?! heehee

Anonymous said...

I hear you! My kids both have college in mind. We'll do what we can to help, but right now that looks like providing room and board here at HOME.

BTW, I love your blog :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails