Friday, July 4, 2008

Let Freedom Ring!

The kids are gone! I love grandparents. At the crack of dawn they were pulled out of bed and thrown into the car for the long ride to Camp Grandparents Farm. I waived from the driveway until the car pulled out of sight, then started dancing in the driveway, still wearing my pajamas. No wonder the neighbors don't send Christmas cards. LET FREEDOM RING!

On another note, today in these United States we celebrate freedom. It is a day to be grateful for all that we have and to remember all those who gave of their minds, time and lives to ensure our freedom and still are fighting for freedom today. I think of our Founding Fathers with awe of the great ideals, forthought and extreme courage they put forth. As Ben Franklin once put it "We shall hang together or we will surely hang separately". Good ole Ben also stated "Beer, proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy". I swear I am not making this up.

While I am on a useless trivia ramble, let me mention something about Independence Day itself. Today we celebrate the signing of the Declaration of Independence. That glorious document that started it all. However, did you know that it was actually signed on July 2, 1776? Yup. That's right. Independence Day is actually on the 2nd. We celebrate on the 4th because that was the day that the enlarged document to display in the town square behind Independence Hall came back from the printers and was posted. No kidding. You can go look it up, I'll wait.


Ha! You didn't believe me. But I am right!
My kids teachers hate me. Teacher's editions of history books don't mention this tidbit. Remember the episode of The Simpsons were Bart stole all the teacher's editions? That always cracks me up. *Note to teachers....Don't be hatin', have a chuckle and move on*
Happy 4th everyone!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comments:

Tom said...

This sounds like exactly the kind of trivia my youngest daughter would love to hear and torment others with. I'll pass it along. Have a great fourth!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails